Today, customers do not wish to engage with a business to address straightforward concerns such as changing personal account details or getting an order cancelled. They prefer using automated self-service options in the form of a mobile application or a business chatbot setup. But now, they demand the expediency of somebody resolving their queries over voice commands and voicebots offer that convenience.
Voicebots, also known as conversational voice agents or voice assistants, are advanced AI systems that communicate with users through spoken language. By utilizing natural language processing (NLP) and speech recognition technologies, voicebots offer a convenient and seamless experience, enabling hands-free and intuitive interactions.
What is a AI Voice Bot?
Voicebots are like intelligent software assistants that use conversational artificial intelligence (AI) to understand and respond to callers using their voice. They make it easy for callers to navigate through an interactive voice response (IVR) system by simply speaking naturally, without the need to listen to menus or press numbers on a keypad. It’s like having a conversation with a human operator, but in this case, it’s in fact a virtual AI-powered bot.
Receive policy details
A voicebot can understand what callers are asking for and respond using everyday languages and dialects. This is done using conversational AI and machine learning technology which essentially helps teach computer systems how to understand human language and intentions expressed through words.
Voicebots offer a superior layer of customer service that today’s growing businesses need to cater to the increasingly digital savvy customers. In this guide, we will be taking a deep dive into the realm of AI voicebots – a fairly new, yet transformational technology.
What is the Purpose of Using a AI Voicebot?
A voicebot must address customer troubles instantly. Since voice is the fastest form of human interaction, faster than keying in queries and traversing drop-down menus using a mouse. Consequently, voicebots present enormous opportunities to elevate the customer service levels a business offers.
We are a group of multi-taskers and love to listen to podcasts while biking and make and receive calls while driving. That makes voicebots both a reliable and useful alternative as your customers will surely be carrying out many other tasks simultaneously.
You can converse with a voicebot at any time of the day. Using voicebots, customers can get in touch with the contact centre from anywhere and at any time. Therefore, you do not have to wait in line to speak with an agent or be compelled to make a call during business hours. Customer service can be enhanced markedly through the immediacy of these bot-driven chats.
Thanks to the power of AI, voicebots upgrade their responses constantly based on the behaviour and history of the customer. Even when they fail to offer a customer the right response, they learn and contextualize from these chats to give the right responses in the future.
However, creating a voicebot that genuinely echoes your brand’s tone of voice and that could recognize the context and content of a customer’s request poses a significant challenge that can only be conquered with the help of experts.
Learn more about the use cases of voice bots.
How Does a AI Voicebot Function?
AI-powered voice recognition bots comprehend the speaker’s request through natural language and voice recognition in real-time without human intervention and use it to converse with the caller with a high success rate of up to 98%. To develop a strong, AI-driven voicebot, you will need the following key elements:
- Automatic Speech Recognition that listens to the request made by the caller
- Natural Language Understanding that comprehends the speaker’s demand
- Conversations Module that establishes the correct response
- Text-to-Speech System that responds to the speaker’s query
What are the different types of voicebots?
Voicebots fall into a few categories based on their methods of interpreting speech, their interaction with speakers, and their applications. The most common categories of voicebots include:
- Rule-based voicebots, which follow predetermined rules for engaging speakers
- AI-assisted voicebots, which can learn new rules for carrying on conversations
- Conversational voicebots, which can carry on discussions in natural language
- Personal voicebots, which use predetermined commands and rules to help users perform programmed tasks
- Voice-activated assistants, which use natural language to engage users and help them perform a flexible range of tasks
Let’s compare these different types of voicebots:
1. Rule-based voicebots
Rule-based voicebots, also known as simple voicebots, use predefined sets of questions and rules to provide answers or perform tasks. For example, a banking voicebot might assist with options such as checking account balances, finding the nearest ATM, or updating the address associated with an account. Rule-based voicebots excel at handling FAQs and routine tasks. They only can carry on conversations and perform tasks within their predetermined limits, so they sound and act robotic. They can’t learn without additional programming.
2. AI-assisted voicebots
AI-assisted voicebots, also known as smart voicebots, use machine learning to analyze natural language input and learn new rules for interpreting conversations. They can use the context of conversations to interpret the speaker’s intent before answering questions or performing tasks. This intent analysis makes them sound more natural than rule-based voicebots while giving them more flexibility for responding to speakers. Examples of AI-assisted voicebots are Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant.
3. Conversational voicebots
Conversational voicebots are voicebots that can carry on discussions using natural language. They use AI and natural language understanding to let speakers carry on conversations using everyday speech. Most conversational voicebots are AI-assisted voicebots, distinguished mainly by an emphasis on applications that stress natural conversation. Some conversational voicebots are hybrids that combine features of rule-based and AI-assisted voicebots, using rule-based responses for routine questions and tasks and AI for more complex conversations.
4. Personal voicebots
Personal voicebots are rule-based voicebots designed to help speakers perform specific practical tasks. They can answer a predetermined range of questions and perform a limited set of functions. They often serve to support customer service and sales departments. For instance, they can automate routine procedures such as answering FAQs or placing outbound calls.
5. Voice-activated assistants
Voice-activated assistants are AI-assisted voicebots that use natural language to help speakers answer practical questions and perform daily tasks. They have more flexibility than personal voicebots to adapt to speakers and perform customized tasks. AI-assisted voicebots installed on mobile devices like Siri often serve as voice-activated assistants.
Benefits of voice bot solution
Voicebots benefit business operations in many ways. Read on to learn about the key advantages of investing in voice automation:
1. Connect with customers using innovative voicebot technology
With scientific innovations in NLP, smart voice control bots have developed the ability to simulate the nuances in speech. This is a progression of natural language and must be heard to be understood. AI today is a driving force in communication.The time when voice machines drove callers to the edge is certainly a thing of the past. There is no need to worry over enormous language menus, where we were expected to choose from certain keywords and then broadcast them forcefully. The conditions today are incredibly different.
2. Scale-up business processes with voicebot
Humans are trained to cope with two to three chats at a time. On the other hand, voicebots can manage without any limit. Firms can easily scale up or down customer service depending on the inflow of calls.
3. Handing off
Voicebots understand when they must pass a customer on to a human. Despite being extremely smart and sophisticated, there will be times when voicebots cannot offer all the right answers. Though voicebots stand out at giving straightforward, FAQ-based responses, such as informing about business hours and return policies, but when the customer query becomes more complex, they are capable of handing the call over to a human agent to address the situation.
4. Customized relationships from voicebot process
Voice-based interactions present new possibilities to provide superior personalized relationships. For example, with voice recognition, voicebots can instantly authenticate the customer and use the customer’s history with a brand to provide tailored answers. Interactive voicebots enable a user-friendly element to the customer service experience, considering the conversational setting of the technology. In the end, as humans, we are more impulsive in verbal chats in contrast to thought-out text-based exchanges.
5. Voicebot will help reduced customer service contact rate and lower operational costs
This is possibly the major benefit for businesses in having voicebots. They boost resources and reduce contact rates by computerizing basic customer chats that do not mandate interventions from live agents. Besides, contact centre agents are released from handling tedious, tier-1 support queries and they get the freedom to focus on more intricate customer concerns.
6. Voicebot makes ease of integrations
Voicebots can flawlessly and easily integrate with the customer support technology stack and telephony structure. This makes self-service, autonomous alternatives quite sophisticated and offers voicebots superior capabilities.
7. Cut waiting times and enhance customer service quality
Several people continue to doubt the quality of customer service when it comes to voice automation. However, this apprehension is misplaced as there is no reason to question a voicebot used to answer queries that can be resolved automatically and swiftly regardless of the time of the day. When given the option of waiting longer to speak to a person, or presenting an answer right away from a voicebot, many go with AI. Eventually, the crucial factor for a constructive customer experience is not the condition of having talked to a real human being, but whether the concerns of the customer were expertly and promptly recorded and settled. In fact, today the technology has advanced to such an extent that the end-user often fails to tell that it is a bot answering them.
Watch this webinar to know more about the benefits of using voicebots for your business.
Benefit of voicebot for different industries
Voicebot in Banking and Financial Services
As per a McKinsey report, the Covid-19 pandemic led to a spike in mobile banking worldwide. Predictably, the speedy move from brick-and-mortar sites to digital outlets has also prompted several banks to employ voicebots. Banking Voicebots are helping banks handle customer service in the following ways:
Voicebot in Utilities
AI voicebots are making a positive impact in the utilities industry in several ways:
- Customer support and self-service: Voicebots assist utility customers by providing instant and automated responses to inquiries related to billing, account information, service disruptions, and payment options. They offer self-service functionalities, allowing customers to report issues, schedule appointments, and obtain information without the need for human intervention, resulting in faster and more efficient customer support.
- Energy usage monitoring and recommendations: Voicebots can provide real-time information about energy consumption, allowing customers to track and manage their usage. They can offer personalized recommendations on how to reduce energy consumption, optimize efficiency, and lower utility bills. This empowers customers to make informed decisions about their energy usage and conservation efforts.
- Outage reporting and updates: AI voicebots enable customers to report power outages and receive updates on the status of restoration efforts. By interacting with voicebots, customers can quickly report issues and receive estimated restoration times, reducing the need for phone calls or waiting on hold during peak outage periods.
- Smart home integration: Voicebots can integrate with smart home devices and utility systems, allowing customers to control various aspects of their energy usage. Customers can use voice commands to adjust thermostats, turn lights on or off, or manage other connected devices, promoting energy efficiency and convenience.
- Proactive notifications and reminders: Voicebots can send proactive notifications and reminders to customers about upcoming maintenance schedules, bill payments, or service updates. This helps customers stay informed and ensures they are aware of any important events or changes related to their utility services.
- Data analytics and insights: Voicebot interactions generate valuable data on customer preferences, inquiries, and service usage. Utilities can analyze this data to gain insights into customer behavior, identify patterns, and improve service offerings. This data-driven approach enables utilities to better understand and cater to customer needs, ultimately enhancing the overall customer experience.
In summary, AI voicebots are aiding the utilities industry by providing efficient customer support, promoting energy conservation, facilitating smart home integration, offering proactive notifications, and enabling data-driven insights for improved service delivery.
Quick service restaurants (QSR)
The use of voicebots in QSRs is growing rapidly. Here are the key reasons for its increasing popularity:
- Unfailing brand experiences
- Enhanced sales through upselling
- Lower operational costs
- Accurate ordering
- Faster, more expedient customer service
- Superior hygiene
- Tailored voice experiences
- Conversational interfaces
If your business has not introduced voice technology yet, you may like to think about the benefits it offers before your customers leave you for a voice-enabled competitor.
Customers today look for extraordinary experiences when they dine out, order in or drive-thru and voicebots can help bring quick results.
Voicebot in Healthcare
In the healthcare sector, hospitals can employ voicebots to help patients in searching for a doctor within their neighborhood and in accordance with their healthcare requirements. Voicebots ask patients questions about their pin code and medical speciality and then provide them with suggestions that meet their criteria.
Voicebot in Retail and e-Commerce
AI voicebots are playing a significant role in transforming the retail industry in several ways:
- Enhanced customer experience: Voicebots provide personalized and interactive experiences, allowing customers to ask questions, get product recommendations, and receive assistance in real-time. They can help streamline the shopping process, provide information on product availability, and offer tailored suggestions based on customer preferences.
- Voice-activated shopping: Voicebots enable customers to make purchases using voice commands, simplifying the buying process and making it more convenient. Customers can add items to their shopping carts, place orders, and make payments using voice instructions, creating a frictionless shopping experience.
- Virtual shopping assistants: Voicebots act as virtual shopping assistants, helping customers navigate through product catalogs, providing detailed information about products, comparing prices, and answering inquiries. This can reduce the need for human assistance and improve customer satisfaction.
- Voice-enabled customer support: Retailers can utilize AI voicebots to provide efficient and round-the-clock customer support. Voicebots can handle common queries, offer self-service options, and escalate complex issues to human agents when necessary, resulting in faster response times and improved customer service.
- Data insights and analytics: Voicebot interactions generate valuable data on customer preferences, inquiries, and shopping patterns. Retailers can analyze this data to gain insights into customer behavior, preferences, and trends, enabling them to make data-driven decisions, personalize marketing efforts, and improve overall business strategies.
- Integration with smart devices: AI voicebots can be integrated with various smart devices, such as smart speakers and voice-activated assistants in smartphones, enabling retailers to reach customers through multiple touchpoints and enhance their presence in the connected home ecosystem.
Overall, AI voicebots are revolutionizing the retail industry by providing personalized experiences, improving customer service, simplifying the shopping process, and generating valuable insights for retailers.
From tailored experiences and natural interactions to fostering hygiene and faster service, in the end, the benefits of having voice-enabled customer interactions amount to contented and devoted customers. Businesses must assess their voice strategies to stay a step ahead of their rivals and make their customers come back for more.
Features of AI Voicebot
Here are the key features a voicebot must possess to ensure a smooth conversation:
- The ability to wait & listen: The argument around intent understanding makes it obvious that the standard set for AI assistants such as voicebots is quite high. While the customer would like the bot to be a ‘good listener’ so it can ascertain the next moves or stop when the customer on the other end is speaking, you also would like the bot to have the ability to make the motive of its call clear.
- Personalization: A customer wants fast responses when he calls a business. This involves the ability to relieve their trouble to somebody more accomplished as quickly as possible. So, it is annoying to raise the number of steps a caller has to go through. For instance, after taking the trouble of calling a business, a customer gets frustrated when he is asked to navigate an IVR to identify themselves, select the pertinent options to classify the reason for the call, before finally explaining the problem. Here, bringing the idea of personalization is key to enhancing customer experience through voicebots.
- Access to agents: One of the objectives of a voicebot is to help agents in fulfilling customers’ demands. Bots are not there as an alternative to agents. During a call, a customer has the choice to talk to an agent. This need not happen under all circumstances but must be based on pre-defined user-oriented fallback guidelines.
- Ability to learn continuously through AI: Comprehending human speech is an intricate endless pit and an apparently never-ending procedure. Often we humans misconstrue and misinterpret each other’s words. In this respect, voicebots have managed to achieve a lot. An AI-driven voicebot, for example, knows this truth and never stops learning. It constantly enhances its predictability and accuracy based on prior results.
- Intent analysis – The power to recognize meaning: This is possibly the most important feature. Subtext and understanding are critical during an interaction. Unfortunately, as humans, we are not always to the point when we talk. Given this fundamental human paradox, a voicebot must have the ability to use its ‘Intent Analysis’ or the power to obtain the meaning behind our statements.
- Ability to offer a quick response: Like most other technologies, speed is of the essence for an enjoyable, effective experience. A decent voicebot must be able to understand and act at the same speed at which the customer talks. Delays and sluggish responses cause annoyance and build a bad impression of the business.
How voicebots help in customer service and enhance customer experience
Voicebots are the future of chatbots and enhance the customer experience in the following four ways:
Yellow.ai’s voice AI solutions and how it can help your business scale!
Yellow.ai is a leading provider of Voice AI solutions for enterprises. Yellow.ai voicebots aka dynamic voice AI agents, empower customers with human-like interactions through voice AI agents to deliver humanized and personalized conversations at scale. adept at active listening, context-switching, and delivering personalized responses. Our virtual customer assistants guide customers every step of the way through:
- Onboarding/welcome calls
- Reminder calls
- Notification calls
- Feedback/survey calls
- …and much more
Trusted by over a thousand global brands such as Sephora, MG Motors, Bajaj Finserv, BPCL, Waste Connections, and Tata, Yellow.ai helps enterprises from world over optimize cost savings, accelerate time-to-market, and ensure superior customer experiences 24/7 through cutting-edge Voice AI solutions.
AI Voicebot – FAQs
Is voicebot and voice chatbot the same?
No. A chatbot is used for online interactions using text, on the other hand, a voicebot interacts only through voice.
What is the difference between a chatbot and a voice assistant?
Chatbots and voice assistants are both conversational AI systems, but they differ in their interface and communication mode. Chatbots use text-based interfaces like messaging apps, while voice assistants primarily use voice commands. Chatbots rely on written language and NLP algorithms, while voice assistants interpret spoken language using ASR technology. Chatbots are commonly used for customer service and support, while voice assistants are integrated into devices like smartphones and smart speakers. Chatbots excel in written communication, while voice assistants offer hands-free, voice-based interactions.
Voicebot vs IVR, which one is better?
Determining whether an AI voicebot or an IVR system is better depends on the specific requirements and objectives. AI voicebots offer a more advanced and conversational user experience, leveraging natural language understanding to provide personalized interactions. They are well-suited for complex and interactive tasks, offering a more human-like interaction. On the other hand, IVR systems are often simpler and more transactional, relying on pre-recorded prompts and keypad inputs. IVR systems may be more suitable for straightforward tasks or scenarios with limited complexity. Ultimately, the choice between the two depends on the desired user experience and the complexity of the intended interactions.
Is it safe to use a voicebot?
Yes. Using a voicebot is absolutely safe when deployed through trusted voicebot providers. <br>Leading and trusted providers such as Yellow.ai have helped several businesses to successfully use it to address their customers’ queries and improve business outcomes.
Yellow.ai implements strict security measures and prioritize user privacy by adhering to all necessary data protection regulations to securely handling sensitive information. Additionally, regular security audits and updates are conducted to address any vulnerabilities.
How can voicebots enhance customer engagement and user experiences?
Voicebots play a crucial role in reducing customer wait times and preventing frustration during interactions. By promptly answering customer calls, voicebots eliminate the need for customers to endure lengthy waiting periods before speaking with a live agent. Even if the voicebot is unable to resolve an issue, this immediate response prevents customers from becoming agitated or disconnecting the call prematurely. This proactive approach to customer engagement ensures that users feel attended to and valued, contributing to a positive experience and minimizing customer churn.
What industries can benefit from integrating voicebot technology?
Voicebot technology offers significant benefits across multiple industries, making various sectors more accessible and efficient. Customers receive round-the-clock support and personalized recommendations in customer service, e-commerce, and banking industries.
Healthcare becomes more convenient with voicebots providing assistance and scheduling appointments. Travel and hospitality industries benefit from voicebots aiding with bookings and offering recommendations. Smart homes become more manageable as voicebots control lighting, temperature, and security systems. In-car voice assistance ensures safer and hands-free control. Education gains interactive support, while call centers optimize efficiency. Entertainment becomes more engaging with personalized content recommendations.
Overall, integrating voicebots improves customer experiences and operational effectiveness across diverse industries.
What are the advantages of voicebot?
Voicebots offer several advantages in various applications. They offer:
- Natural and intuitive user experience
- Convenience and hands-free operation
- Accurate and context-aware responses
- Seamless integration with devices like smartphones and smart speakers
- Scalability for handling large volumes of voice-based interactions
- Improved accessibility for users with limited typing abilities or disabilities.
What is an example of a voicebot?
An example of a voicebot is Amazon’s Alexa, which powers the Amazon Echo smart speaker. Alexa is a voice-based virtual assistant that responds to user commands and queries, providing information, controlling smart home devices, playing music, and more. Another example is Google Assistant, which is available on various devices such as smartphones, smart speakers, and smart displays. Google Assistant can perform tasks like answering questions, setting reminders, and controlling compatible smart devices. Additionally, there are industry-specific voicebots, such as voice-activated customer service assistants used by businesses to handle customer inquiries and provide support.
What is the use of voice based chatbot?
Voice-based chatbots offer hands-free interaction, improved accessibility, and faster communication compared to typing. They provide a natural and conversational experience, catering to diverse languages and dialects. Integrated with voice-enabled devices, they enhance customer service, and personalized assistance, and streamline operations. By allowing users to speak their requests, voice-based chatbots offer convenience and efficiency, making them valuable in various industries and applications.
How much does a voicebot cost?
The cost of a voicebot depends on a few factors. If you decide to develop it in-house, you’ll need to consider hiring developers and AI specialists. Alternatively, you can explore pre-built solutions from third-party platforms, which may have different pricing options. The complexity and customization of the voicebot also impact the cost. Integrating it with existing systems and ongoing maintenance contributes to expenses as well. If your voicebot needs to handle high volumes or scale, there may be additional costs. To get an accurate estimate, it’s best to consult with vendors or development teams based on your specific needs.